My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20080404

if you want to change the world.....

In response to Reno's comment on What Rights Do We Have...?
What the 'tuuuut'!... honestly i think u must make she feel that she will choose and do the right thing la...but how?hmm... try to to overcome all the 'common reasons' given. She must pay for all wrongdoing that she have done. Not simply abort @ kill the innocence baby! No such thing. Tell her that maybe in the beginning only she'll fell the 'common reasons' effect but after sometimes things will be alright... and most of all is to save the baby's life.
I think thats it. but then it up to u to deliver it bro... I know u can do it tru yr own way...Hopefully!
03 April 2008 16:51

The entry on abortion was not my first on such issue, in fact while working in a private clinic, I came across people asking for an abortion quite often, even when I was manning a government clinic far away in the village in Lahad Datu. And this issue, when it arises, has never stopped to jolt my conscience on ethics, value of life, and the socio-problems of our present young generation.

That is why I believe that if anyone should want to change the world, be a teacher... a good one, because you have in your grasp, the future of our state, of our nation, of our world. A toast, for all the teachers in my life and the teachers amongst my friends and family. I salute you all.

Anyway, back on issue of what can I say or should I say during counseling, I did not hesitate in telling people my stand on pro-life issue (no-to-abortion!) but still, ethically, I have a duty of letting them make the decision themselves.

I have an entry posted on this issue not long ago:
20080310
falsafah hari ini... (an excerpt)

Isu-isu etikal berkaitan moraliti menjadi tema utama pemikiran saya pada minggu lalu, apabila saya didepankan dengan masalah keluarga salah seorang staf di klinik yang berada hampir di ambang penceraian... saya terpaksa membuat pemerhatian di luar agenda dan pendirian saya sendiri, dan cuba menganalisa situasi tersebut tanpa dipengaruhi oleh faktor kepercayaan dan falsafah saya sendiri.

Tetapi apabila difikirkan sejenak, apakah peranan kita sebagai kaunselor, apabila seseorang itu datang untuk mencari bantuan nasihat (katakan) adakah kita tidak sepatutnya memberi nasihat berdasarkan pendirian kita sendiri? Menurut pengertian asas kaunseling, seseorang kaunselor hanya berperanan sebagai coach atau pembimbing dalam seseorang dalam bantuannya itu mencari dan mendapatkan penyelesaian untuk masalahnya sendiri. Seseorang kaunselor yang baik tidak akan menekankan apa-apa keputusan yang perlu dibuat oleh kliennya. Pengertian ini menjadi platfom debat di mana sesetengah pendapat manyatakan bahawa kaunselor tidak wajar menjalankan kaunseling dengan membawa isu-isu peribadi ke dalam perkhidmatannya (termasuk pengertian agama, etika dan politik tentunya).

Namun di manakah garis pemisahan antara kaunseling yang djalankan ke atas klien atau pesakit, dan kaunseling yang dijalankan ke atas sahabat. Adakah garis itu terletak di atas persahabatan, ataupun ianya masih bergantung kepada isu yang dibincangkan?
Read the rest of the discussion for this entry

So yes, Reno, I will try my best in my capacity, to say whatever I can and do whatever I can, to help an unborn, but I must not forget that the mother is also another life with her own intellects and needs to be fulfilled.

************************************************************************

Once in a casual chat, it was said that there are only 2 professions whereby a person can directly influence another person, to change his perception, mold his direction in life, and to change the world: teachers and doctors.

I took the easy way...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm. I shy away mostly from making comments in blogs but that does not mean that I do not read your posts. It's become my daily routine to read the star online and your blog. It makes me feel like I am back home. Keep it up dude! Its good stuff. Alas, I cannot help but comment on this post...I have no strong opinion on this matter but am reminded of the book Cider House Rules by John Irving now made into a movie. As you will remember Rod, this book speaks of the irony of a society and people that make rules for matters in which they have no experience of. In the story, the coloured workers living in wooden shacks of the cider house had to obey draconian rules made up by the white owners who lived in plush mansions. They were told how, where and when to live by a people that had never stayed in a wooden shack. How then can such people understand what it must be like to live in such a place? And if they cannot understand, how can they make the rules?
Likewise, can we make judgement and make a stand on matters like abortion if we are not and have never been in that situation?
And even if we have been there...who is to say that we are now able to dispense wisdom of 'don't worry, i know what it is like, I did this and so you must to...'?
I wonder what rules the coloured workers would put in place if they were given a free hand in this matter? Sure..there maybe some anarchy initially...but some semblance of maturity and sensibility would hopefully ultimately prevail.
I think more important than anything else...is that it was their decision and their rules.

To answer your question Rod.."What rights do we have?"
I like to think that we have the right to make our own decision free from the coercion of the camps of the moral high ground, paternalistic doctors and pro-abortion-i've been there so do what i do people.

With some well rounded advice, we need to write our own 'Cider house rules' and make a decision for ourselves...that is after all what human beings do...for better or for worse.

The soul grows in the making of such decisions...for it is not an easy thing to do.