My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20080510

travelogue day 7: yogyakarta to surakarta......

Day 7 on holiday, and honestly by now, I am feeling that I've had a tad too much of Indonesia, but I still have one final destination to go to, that is Surakarta or more famously known as Solo.

The trip by train took only about an hour and honestly again I was quite worried with the idea of traveling by train where Executive coach is not available. I've seen how packed an Economy coach can get and seriously I am not fond of being jam-packed like sardines with a few luggages to watch over.

And quite unusually, I am very glad and happy to be wrong this time, the Economy coach wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There was a ceiling fan every few meters in there, but we can wind down the window as well. This trip brought back memories of those time when we had to take the train to balik kampung to Tenom, my mom's hometown.

The Yogyakarta train station. Next destination, Solo-Balapan Station.

The outskirt of Jogja, we start to see paddy fields after paddy fields.

I checked into Solo Inn right in front of Solo Grand Mall. Actually in Solo there's a main artery of road cutting across the town called Jl Slamet Riyaldi, and lots of the hotels, malls and other attractions are along this road, with a kraton at one end.

Here, old Mac Donald don't just have the normal livestocks in his farm, but giraffes too.

The best Internet Terminal I've been to in whole of Indonesia.

For dinner I tried out the traditional eating style, sitting at the roadside on a mat while being served dinner. This is called Lesehan style, where people do their business on the 5-foot way.

People sitting on the roadside enjoying dinner.

Another type of bakmi, the dry version. Notice the chili that comes together, you're supposed to take a bite of that then take in a spoonful of whatever you're having for dinner.

Chai - glutinous rice balls with peanut butter filling, cooked in ginger syrup. The ginger syrup was very strong, I choked a bit on my first slurp. We do a lot of this back home too, with red bean paste filling, but less gingery syrup.

Nasi gudek. Meat cooked with young jackfruit and boiled egg. This is a local delicacy in Jogja and Solo area.

This is a statue of Riyaldi, of whom the road is named after. It's rude to show your backside to people who're eating, but this guy's been doing it the whole time.

No comments: