My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20080505

travelogue: day 4 - books, books, books.....

On day 4 I set out to visit the famous book market at Taman Gunung Agung in Kwitang area, also a place I learned from the movie "Ada Apa Dengan Cinta?"

Before I went on, I had breakfast at a warong just opposite the hotel.

The warong supposedly is famous for its ikan bakar, but its too early start the day smelling fishy, so I went for the noodle instead. I tried Soto Betawi. Ingredients; beef innards, beef fats and some other things I could not identify, served with generous servings crackers. Few sips of the soup reveals a lumpy and creamy broth, probably coconut milk. It was not until I took a bit of whatever that was in the soup - turned out to be a lump of beef fat - with the consistency of liquefying brain matter or bashed up mammary glands - that I felt my supper from last night protesting from inside and threatening to come back out! That things was so disgusting, I can't remember eating anything remotely as yucky as this.

Few big gulps of es kelapa calmed my gastronomic revolt, and I ordered some otak-otak instead. My appetite was gone for the day.

This is where they barbecue their famous ikan bakar. I'll probably come back for ikan bakar some other time. As for now, the beef innards (called babat sapi) ruined all my lust for food.

Took a bajay to Taman Gunung Agung. Got some currency changed here, and the rate was surprisingly better than changing back home. Next time just bring Ringgit here to change. Go to the money changer in Toko Buku Gunung Agung. The money changer is inside the bookshop, above an A&W restaurant.

A local Church.

I tried updating my my blog from a cyber-cafe around here, and the rate is so much cheaper than the one near my hotel, at Rp4,000 per hour compared to Rp10,000 that I'm used to. But there's a slight difference in the setting, here there are no tables and chairs, so I had to blog sitting on the floor. But the connection was even worse than the one near the hotel, and it can't even load the blogger's page, so I went out after 1/2 hour.

A street vendor selling kon-lou noodle.

Taman Gunung Agung park.

Rows and rows of shops selling pirated books of thousands of titles. You can get books in various languages too.

Guess what is interesting with this picture?

Nope, not the guy's behind, you pervert!!!

The buses here can also do side business - selling rabbits... in the bus itself! Imagine coming off the bus smelling like rabbit poo...

No comments: