My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20080608

kotobian tadau kaamatan......

Ok, siopon story time, hahaha....

Like I said before, I was invited to a Kaamatan celebration, and it was actually a village level celebration, of Kampung... ah I forgot the name, but it's in Donggongon, inside Jalan Pogun, of which Jr's dad is the JKKK chairman.

Celebration started with gong showcase, with village people young and old pulling up a piece to officiate the ceremony. There was a few speeches, and after that, dinner.

Jr's place is just across the celebration campsite, so we decided to have our own celebration in his place, with the buffet spread was just outside.

While siopon naturally was the main attraction for the night, we also had shisha to keep us occupied. Shisha is just flavoured wet tobacco, filtered through cold water.

Nah, this is the siopon. While fermenting, the earthen vase is covered with leaves. A jar of this potent stuff isn't that expensive, as the one we had costs only RM30.00.

The proper way to prepare siopon as shown by Jr. The jar of siopon would actually come dry, only a huge lump of caked up fermented rice inside. It had to be filled up with drinking water. Just water at room temperature, not boiling please.

Then, the opening is covered with clean plastic sheet.

Put some holes onto the plastic sheet for water refilling.

Place the bamboo straw provided firmly into the rice lump, preferably with one swift insertion rather than having to pull it back up again, so as not to break the rice lump.

Ha! Ready for consumption.

Iitadakimasu......

Aramaitiiii.....

The actual way to drink the siopon is first to sip the potent fluid in the jar (called tapai) until the fluid level comes off contact with the plastic sheet, that's about the equivalence of a cup of tapai. A cup of clean water is then refilled into the jar. So as the process is repeated, the potency of the tapai will taper off until it becomes tasteless. When does that happen I don't know. My guess is that 1 jar of siopon could actually give out up to 5 jars of potent tapai. That's a lot of refilling to do.

We had a few choices of toxins to wash away our consciousness. Other than the siopon, there was also Mango Rum, Chivas Swing, an assortment of Vodkas and no water. We had only a few cans of Sprite and a miserable bottle of Tuti Fruity, so at the end we had to take everything on the rocks.

I remembered wandering off from the house to join the celebration outside dancing poco-poco. I probably missed the sumazau but was in time for the poco-poco. I usually don't dance, but surely only after 2 full sips on the tajau, and a few shots of mango rum, I found my dancing bone!

Sleep came quite insistently at about 2 am, I barely remember talking to Jr's mother about dancing the poco-poco (what is it about me with being drunk and chatting up my friends' mothers I don't know, but I had similar experience a while ago, hehehe - but nothing Freudian I can be sure).

There was still invitation to open cans of beer at 2am but I seriously felt like my consciousness was slipping away like a boat leaving the dock. I had to call back my consciousness, come back! come back! come back! But after a few times slipping off, I decided I wouldn't want to fight it anymore, just retire for the night. All and all, I took anly 4 sips on the siopon, 2 in full consciousness, 1 right after poco-poco (I was thirsty) and another before they kept it away for the night.

Ahh... the anticipation for hang over the next morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nu kang ku di (apa sia bilang tuh), ic number pun inda ingat kan??? ;p (infact im jeles... eh jeles of the aramai tieee, bukan jeles tuh moginum session tau..)