My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20070718

the day i attended my first international meeting

SosEk MalIndo - Sosial/Ekonomi Malaysia/Indonesia

The meeting chaired by Dr Chris

Last week I attended a health meeting in Sandakan, held between 2 governments, Malaysia (JKNS) and Indonesia (Health team of KALTIM or Kalimanan Timur). The two authorities of Health discussed issues of infectious diseases crossing the border and this time round, they focused mainly on zoonotic transmission of disease; such as rabies, avian flu and the likes.

Dr Navin, myself and Dr Koay

The Indonesians were just as fascinating as usual. I love to hear them speak among themselves, like plucked straight from the movies. One thing I learn from talking to them, is that, Bapak and Ibu is a usual reference they'd use to call anybody with respect, no matter you're really a Bapa, or an Ibu.

And the way they pronounce their alphabets, accordign to the sound it makes, not the name of the alphabet. Example, for HIV, we read as H - I - V, while they'd say Hah - E - Vi (pronounced HiFee). Now if you know medical jargons, it's full of abbreviations like that, and imagine trying to understand what they're talking about throughout the meeting.

But that was an interesting experience and I loved it.

No comments: