My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20090204

reminiscing simpler days.......

Today when I flick through Barney (think purple dinosaur, not prehistoric neighbours), or Teletubbies (I swear they look demonish enough even without their senseless giggles) or A-l-o-n-g (the local oversized stupid looking cat with botox grin), I wonder how could this generation get any education out of those? And don't get me started on the locally produced Jom Nyanyi (which features a bunch or non-photogenic Malaysian kids singing out of tune about Taman Titiwangsa and Pemandu Teksi - used to air around 3pm everyday, TV1 circa 2006).....

The real deal has to be Sesame Street, and for my kids, nothing else would do.....

An ode to my early education...



And now they have a newer version of the theme song



And this I find very fascinating



I never grew up with Mr Hooper from around the corner, because he passed away sometime around early 1980s.. when he passed away (of cancer), the producers at Children Television Workshop faced a fork road - they could have replaced him with someone who looked like him or say that he moved away aor something - or they could use that opportunity to teach preschoolers to deal with death. True to the typical Sesame Street style, they opted for the latter.

Sesame Street writers had help from experts in the field of loss and separation, telling them what not to say: not to say Mr Hooper went away on a trip, and not to say Mr Hooper went to the hospital and died (or else kids would be frightened of the hospitals). For those of you who didn't get the chance to watch that episode, here's the clip...

Where were you when Mr Hooper died?



Yea, Sesame Street definitely was my first teacher.

No comments: