My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20090606

arteo in bali: day 3 - taking a walk round the corner.....

Friday - May 1, 2009 (Labour Day PH in Malaysia)

As usual, after my morning internet and replying some urgent emails from back home, I was planning for Denpasar today. I haven't read up much on Denpasar, but I figured it should be one of the places to see when one is in Bali.

As I came to the hotel, there was this woman selling jamu siting at the entrance, preparing a drink for one of the hotel workers. I asked for one myself, and from the various tonics she had (which included libido enhancer and yang buat tahan lama) I decided to just have one for kesihatan - or general health. So this is how the process goes...

First she wipes the glass...

Then she pours in the base for the drink - tamarind juice.

Then, in the concoction of roots and whatever not that makes one generally healthy...

She then breaks an egg into the mixture... only the yolk goes in.

And then another egg yolk...

Cleaning the rim of the glass for proper presentation...

And viola I am ready to get my General Health in a cuppa! It didn't taste too bad, but the feeling of sliding 2 egg yolks down my throat as I drink the thing was quite an experience.

After facing the fact that I am not getting my phone back, I asked Ben to freeze my account, and get a change of room. The hotel staffs were friendly and helpful and all, so I didn't feel like changing hotels, so I chose a room right in front of the reception. The fan wasn't the newest one they have. but at least it works.

The beds.

The wash basin.

And thankfully a toilet that doesn't flood after every shower.

Lazing around in the room, I started sketching a figure of Rangda to see if I could get it tattooed on to my arm. I actually did, but I was torn between getting a Rangda or bungai terung on my shoulders. Finally I settled for the bungai terung.

The camera was out of charge so I recharged the batteries while getting my tatts, so I don't have pictures to show the process.

In the afternoon, there was the commotion about someone - a patron of the hotel itself - that was suspected to have stolen all the missing items from our rooms, and since Malte and gang went off to Tanah Lot earlier that day, I was asked to go up and see if I could identify Malte's rashsuit - which I have seen before because I was in the shop when he bought it. It looked very similar but of course I would not say it has to be the one. Furthermore, the suspect was out - and I didn't feel right about going into his room just to look at some of the things on the bed and in his bags, but I took a look at his electronics - and there were way to many of them for one person - looking for my phone, it wasn't there anymore, but maybe he managed to sell it off before we came in. Just maybe.

Having the afternoon spoilt like that, I decided to kill the plan to go to Denpasar and take a walk around Kuta instead. First stop, the Bali Bombing site.

The I proceeded South-ward along Legian Road and started snapping pictures of statues... but in the end I just had to quit snapping every statues I see because there were just too many of them! But one of my favourites, is this Garuda Vishnu.

Now, I am also a fan of everything aerial - commercial airplanes, Superman, angels and I think it it is natural for me to be drawn to the Garuda as well...

Statue next to a tourist information counter.

Oxymoron central - this really kills me!! Haha..

More statues...

Balinese in their natural habitat...

Temples scattered along the street.

I came a cross a group of boys catching a bird and I stayed to watch. After they caught it, they fed it ice cream that they were having...

After that, they ate on the ice cream again... they are so close to nature, you wouldn't believe it. Haha... yucks.

One of the must tries whenever I go away somewhere, is the KFC and Starbucks just to make comparison with the ones we have back home. KFC in Indonesia has a Cafe Corner.

Taste, okay la.. slightly less oily than the Singaporean KFC I had earlier that week.

Then, naturally I would be having some local coffees as well, and I settled at Bali Coffee to escape the heat for a bit...

Picture of olden Balinese cafe.. but you don't see half-dressed women with jugs hanging out anymore nowadays.

Americano and Mocha.

The whole setting wasn't too impressive for an outlet that carries the name of the Island... The set up was not posh, the area too small but I just forgive it for its strong air-conditioning. After that I went to the Shopping Mall in front called Matahari.

Taking a walk to the other side of Kuta called Galleria - a more posh shopping area. Since today was decidedly a Shopping Mall day, I headed there too... only that it wasn't exactly that near, everybody else were asking me to take a taxi when I asked for direction... but no thanks, I'll walk.

A lady with goods carried on her head.

Some walls details.

A man preparing satay by the road side.

The sign a health facility is nearby...

Health Office here is called Dinas Kesihatan. The banner outside its office shows that they're concerned about rabbies infection.

An old man catching fish with a net under the bridge.

A huge statue at a roundabout in front of Galleria.

Coffee at J.Co... Plus point for giving out free donuts with every coffee purchase.

After going around the mall, I decided to watch a movie - just to try out the Indonesian cinema - so I saw P2, a thriller at Cinema 23. After the movie, I had Bakso fried rice for dinner.

A mime doing iPhone promotion.

The Malaysian gang was back from Tanah Lot when I got home... lepak lepak with them, chugging a large Bintang, lay back and relax.... the holiday mood starts to take effect.

2 comments:

Ned Pungawon said...

wah... best o...
nice photos too... im sure have had a great time and experience...

ARTEo said...

hehe, boleh lah tahan...