My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20080102

the one about purpose...

Given the year-long absence from Church, I find it quite difficult to go back to reading spiritual materials, especially if the author writes in a manner that makes every reader (meaning: me) feel like a lower-than-dirt-level, good-for-nothing, spot-reserved-in-hell kind of sinner and he's going to write me a solution to Salvation.

Such is my problem with pride...

I came across Rick Warren in one of his books saying that the purpose my life is greater than my own personal fulfillment, than my peace of mind, or even my happiness. My purpose in life is far greater than my family, my career, or even my wildest dreams and ambitions.

I had to reread the paragraph and see if there was any punctuation play, or any words that I missed, because I don't exactly know what to do with such statements.

I have pondered on this issue before, when we talk about our reason or the meaning of existence, is there any other way to describe it other than to talk on purpose... and if Warren says (and if G means it so too) that the meaning of existence is none of the above-mentioned, what then?

Thinking back of what is my purpose in life, or maybe the direction I am heading, there was a time when I was thinking only about the Restoration of the Church, like St Francis of Asisi's calling. Having that gave much direction in my life in general, until my long vacation away to the desert of dark nights, that is. I don't even know if G still wants me to do these things. I long for the days when everything was clear, and I know what exactly to read on, and I know what to talk about, and I can plan up who to meet and what to do, because I was in the Restoration business. Well, that was really a while back and I need to talk to G about these things again.

Sometimes we are too hung up in trying to see the bigger picture of our Purpose in Life, when what we were meant to fulfill with our being is over looked in the moment-to-moment God-incidences. The details, as G planned out, could be for us to just be around, to give someone a pat on the back, to offer a lift, to say something uplifting on the phone, to lovingly point out a mistake, to remember that verse when someone's at the end of his wit just trying to recall where it came from...

No comments: