My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20081128

day light robbery.......

Sounds like a figure of speech but I'm talking literally.

I've just received a phone-call from my nursing sister, reporting that one of our nurses was robbed on her way back home for the weekend. She was alright, traumatised nonetheless, but unharmed. Only her handbag was snatched and she's now at the Police Station, filing report of the incident.

Sure, it sounds like an everyday thing, happens so often that we don't make much of a big deal about it anymore... until it happens to one of our own people.

I have close to a hundred young nurses working in the interiors of Beluran (and by saying interior, we don't just mean you don't get your morning papers on time, or you can put your 3G phone down - we're talking of hours of car ride, boat ride and walking cross hills, valleys, rivers, swamps and open sea... and I'm not being dramatic here).

We've raised up the issue of safety of these girls (some of them even working alone in a rural clinic) but somehow they always turn out okay. Anyhow I don't think it is fair that we keep on betting their safety on luck and chances. I'll be calling a brainstorm session to think of ideas to keep our girls safe... we have a few suggestions listed...

1)Equipt every nurses with pepper spray - we have provided one for each clinic, but maybe we need to give to everybody

2)Sponsor them to self-defense classes ie karate, taekwondo etc, and some are already built for sumo ;-)

3)Did anyone say Tazer?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Over here some female docs use panic alarms but it may not be as sueful in more secluded spots.