My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20081125

another thing made me cry today.......

This may make me sound like a woos, and I'm not helping it by talking about my crying on the blog, but something really strong pulled on the heart-string, and I'm not talking about some Hallmark movies that I've watched.

I just came back from KASIH, which is a non-governmental support group that aims to relief the burden of people infected and affected by the HIV / AIDS epidemic in Kota Kinabalu, of which I've pledged membership. Talking to Monica, the person running the show behind the courtain, alongside DrFong who cares for the infected children in Sabah, I was notified that there are about over forty infected children (unofficial figure quoted) currently are under follow up at the retroviral clinic, and more than half of them are already started on treatment. Well, why am I sad about this, let me put it this way. Infected children can be healthy or health-compromised. The healthy ones may not require HIV treatment for the moment, and there are only less than half of them. And we are not only talking about the infected ones when we bring up the issue of HIV/AIDS in the community, because we have not yet begun counting thos who are affected (but fortunately not infected) who have lost their parents and any form of social support because of the prejudism and stigma associated with these 6 lettered nightmare - HIV/AIDS.

One of those kids, JC is his name, who is infected and affected, was already orphaned before he was even 5 years old. I was offered to adopt him, and be his care-taker so that he can be enrolled into the welfare programme, and receive a little funding from the government. KASIH is also helping him financially, to ensure that he comes for his follow ups regularly without missing his medication.

It didn't take long for me to say yes, of course. After leaving my particulars with them, I came home having mixed feelings, mostly good. A cocktail of sadness, pride, happiness, joy -- and I am really bad with adjectives -- but one thing I know, being a dad makes me look at life at a different angle, and there's a sense of fulfillment to it.

I've not met JC yet, but I hope to see him soon. Now you can call me a woos for crying, but you would too if you've just got a child, and when you know he is healthy, but not exactly.

3 comments:

Kadazan Man in New York said...

you are doing the right thing for this child. good for you.

JerryInc said...

dude, you're not a 'woos'..and thanks for sharing. need any volunteer to help out at the centre?

weesee said...

Good on you, Roddy! I'm proud of you...they are the one who is in need of care and love....you did a good job!