My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20081020

the one about my morning routine...

Inspired by an article from the latest issue of American GQ, I realised that I also do have a routine to start my day off every morning, be it work days or weekends.

The mornings usually start with a couple of snoozes on the alarm clock (which is now my unused Motorola clamp shell V3i loaded with an expired SIM card). The first thing upon deciding to wake up is to empty the bladder, then to make myself a cup of coffee (I have to admit, even though a self-acclaimed coffee connoisseur, I succumb to the limitation of not having a proper coffee making machine at home, thus having to make do with 3-in-1 coffee, and nowadays, the preference is Nescafe Gold instant coffee. I usually take a sip or two before proceeding to check my email, most of the time just clearing the junks that got in between midnight and now.

Shower time is usually indicated by nature call, a biological alarm that I gratefully rely on to be rather constant every day.

For shower I currently use Adidas Force shower cream and St Ives Energising Citrus body wash. Lately I've been using something strong to wake up the senses in the morning - an old school soap that leaves me feeling really clean and fresh, guaranteed - Pagoda Brand Camphor soap. Try finding it in tuck shops rather than supermarkets; I got mine for RM1.10 at CKS. There's another favourite that Ben usually gets from old school pharmacies - a green soap that we can never remember the brand, which also has a characteristic smell leaving you feeling really clean after every shower - something that no fruity smelling soap can do better.

The face is a different routine all together, although I used to just soap my face with whatever I lather myself in, sometimes even shampoo - but inspired by a remark that I look like in my 40s, I've pushed up the metrosexual lever on facial care. Last time I used to clean myself with anything that Mentholatum produces, and to tone down the self consciousness on having such a regime of cosmetics, I use only those with the word 'Men' on it. But still I was told that I am not doing enough to make myself less like a 40 year old. So recently I had an overhaul on the facial regime, and started using only non-soap facial cleaner, currently using Nivea for Men Pure and Control - soap free Oil Control face wash. I was asked to consider Labs Series but paying RM80 for a tube of of facial wash might be pushing it over the cliff.

I am very fussy when it comes to toothpaste, it has to be very minty, and my favourite is Fresh and White Extra Cool - sometimes it leaves your tongue numb, just the way I like it. The other favourite was one that I tried in Philippines - I think the brand was Close-Up, calamansi flavoured. Toothbrush is another arena where I like to experiment, and whenever a new model comes out, I'll try it out. Up to date my favourite is Jordan Click super-soft, which I have 4 of at this point of time, one in Beluran, one in my travelling bag, one in my room toilet and one in the common bathroom at home. There’s another one that remained a favourite but no more in production - Colgate Classics.

I've started using moisturisers, also after that remark about my apparent age - although I hated the feeling of greasiness even though it claims to be non-greasy feeling on the box. But one that I've found to be tolerable - Nivea for Men Energizing Hydro gel. For nights I have another set of regime, L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Energetic and L'Oreal Men Expert Vita Lift.

For the hair, I don't usually shampoo in the morning because I'd do that at night, but sometimes hair-product build-up would make the hair feel heavy in the morning, and is easily reset by just soaping the hair with usual soap. I know it might spoil the hair by striping off the natural oil and all that bla bla bla, but at end of my third decade I am glad to still have my hairline not far from my brow. Anyway, I have tried probably most of the hair products sold at Guardians and Watson, according to the length of my hair. So for my now 4-weeks-since-the-last-haircut length, currently I am using Uber Men Nitro Fiber quick-freeze wax.

Cracked and chaffed lips is a concern since I sometimes overlook the 8 glass a day rule for drinking water, I put on some Nivea lip-repair balm. I have another one on my office desk - Mentholatum Mentholated lip balm for men, because sitting in a small room at 16 degree Celsius will also crack up my lips.

Now, having such a sissy effeminate metrosexual routine to start up my day, how do I redeem my own confidence and remind myself that I still belong to the supposedly rough and rugged species of humankind, only better smelling...? I apply on some nosocomial reminder - currently cK Men, previously Burbery Brit and RL Romance - at the recommended dose, one spritz on each forearm, one on the neck and one at the back of my shirt.

2 comments:

weesee said...

my goodness!!!! you are more womenly than me...............

ARTEo said...

That's why I am more beautiful... hahaha