My Own Happiness Project

My Own Happiness Project
because happiness begins inside and flows out...

20070806

the one about the movie: 9 naga

the actual controversy is the belly button and the strands of hair noted under it. rubbish...

We all love a feel good movie on a weekend. I have a fancy for Indonesian movie, especially the ones directed by Rudi Soedjarwo, among many, Ada Apa Dengan Cinta? (Keets, right?), Tentang Dia and 9 Naga. I do not know if he has released any newer movies but the ones I have, I watched over and over again.

Just now I was in a mood for the rerun of 9 Naga.

The story tells of a special relationship between 3 youngsters: Marwan, Donny and Lenny, who has been friends since childhood. They met through a fated tragedy, involving a lot of violence and death, a bloody one at that, unexpected profitability from the incident and from then on became a team of hitmen, taking lives for money.

What I like about the movie, is definitely the cinematography. The story-line about standing up for each other, and going through the pain of losses, grips tight on the heart.

I didn't know the movie went through quite a bumpy ride before its release, as reported in Detikcom - Indonesia's Entertainment Website - specifically 2 issues were brought up for questioning.

First, was the tag-line for the movie that went: Manusia terbaik di Indonesia adalah seorang penjahat. Rudy got a lot of trouble with the tagline and was forced to take it off before release.

Another hiccup, was the poster - that showed the guy's belly-button (or as they call it in Indon, pusar) Probably it has got something to do with aurat, but I took the liberty to post up the actual banned poster up here.

You think I'm joking about this... as taken from www.kompas.com:

Hal kedua yang bikin "gerah" LSF adalah foto Fauzi Baadila yang memperlihatkan pusarnya di poster film itu. "Hal lain adalah pusar dan soal rambut yang terlihat di bawah pusar dalam foto di poster itu. Memang masih pakai celana tapi bisa menimbulkan penafsiran yang negatif. Kami juga minta supaya itu ditutup saja," ucap Titie.

Tacky taglines and belly buttons aside, I still think this movie is a winning must see. Watch it for the abstract meanings, watch it for the friendship and loyalty so nicely captured in the acting. Watch it for the superb script. I have watched the movie countless times, and will do again some other time... it's THAT good... have a go at it.

(while watching this, I was reminded of the friends I spent most of my formative years with - fighting for a cause, standing for our beliefs... guys, I'm waiting here, for when you all come back, we'll do it all over again...)

The feel good part about this movie is having people in my mind - of my friends.

p/s: Damn it, I miss you all!

No comments: